Robotics Control Systems Software Engineer
“We innovate kitchens with robotics and contribute to resolving the worker shortage problem in the food industry”
The food industry in Japan is facing a serious shortage of workers. In fact, many restaurants close down because they can’t find enough people to work for them. Some try to shorten business hours to remedy this, but we all need a more fundamental solution to the problem.
Our robots are saviors to the industry. In Connected Robotics, we develop robotic systems to help people cook and wash dishes in restaurants and homes. To serve their purposes, the robots need to prepare ingredients or turn what’s cooked on the grill.
For example, the first recipe we tackled was Takoyaki*. To cook Takoyaki, the robot needs to pour batter and turn each Takoyaki inside a specially molded pan, determining how well it is cooked.
The robots process the images captured through the onboard cameras to properly execute required tasks. We call these technologies we accumulated so far “Cooking Skills”. We are on a mission to make them into libraries.
As a robotics control systems software engineer, your role is to use robots from various manufacturers, develop versatile robotics systems that work under different circumstances and contribute to expanding the above “Cooking Skills” library.
*Takoyaki is a Japanese favorite ball-shaped snack made of wheat flour-based batter with chopped octopus and other ingredients inside.
What you’ll do
- Develop, implement and provide after-sales support for software for robots used in restaurants, including OctoChef, Soft Serve Ice Cream Robots and Dish Washing System.
- Using C/C++ or python with ROS, develop algorithms for trajectory generation and motion planning to control the robot.
- Develop versatile robot controllers that work on robots from different manufacturers.
- Improve accuracy of the robot control algorithms utilizing forward/inverse kinematics and dynamics.
- Improve controllability by testing, evaluating and debugging the developed software.
Combining “cuisine”, “image processing” and “robots”, we are working on new, fun and challenging projects. We are looking for engineers eager to work with us!
Nokodai Tama Koganei Venture Port 2-24-16
Nearest station: JR Higashi-Koganei station (7 mins. by walk)
Will be determined according to experience, background, skills and abilities of the candidate.
- Minimum 118 days off work annually, including weekends and 14 special paid leaves
* Japanese national holidays are working days in our office, but instead we offer 14 special paid days off on top of regular annual paid leaves. Unlike other developed countries, it's rare to find companies that let you take longer vacations in Japan, but we chose this system because we want our employees to rest well.
* 10 annual paid leaves will be added on top of the above days once you've worked here for more than 6 months. The number of these annual paid leaves will also increase as you stay with us longer.
- Commuting expenses covered (a max. limit applies)
- Social insurances covered
- Rent assistance available (Owned houses are excluded. Some restrictions may apply.)
- Unlimited Takoyaki and soft serve available during development periods
- Gym and pool in front of the office (200JPY/h)
- Pick any computer you like for your job
- Free coffee
Skills, experiences and knowledge
- Experience in application development using robotic arms or manipulators
- Basic knowledge of forward/inverse kinematics and dynamics of robotic arms and experience in implementation
- Experience in generating profile and trajectory of the end-of-arm
- Basic knowledge of and experience with using of motion planning and 3D simulations
- Knowledge of controlling robotic peripheral devices via I/O
- Basic knowledge in and experience with computer vision using libraries like OpenCV
- Knowledge in and experience with machine learning like deep/reinforcement learning
- Knowledge in and experience with parallel computing (programming)
- Knowledge in and experience with socket programming
- Knowledge of and experience with embedded, real-time control systems
- Knowledge in and experience with implementing OOP
- Experience with Automated Unit Testing
OSs, languages and frameworks you’ll use
- Linux Ubuntu
- C/C++, Python, MONO(.NET C#)
- Tensor Flow, Kaggle, PyTorch
- Google Cloud Platform(GCP), Amazon Web Service(AWS)
- Git, Docker, CI tool like Jenkins
Who you are
Curious, patient and creative, always eager for improvements.
- Doesn't require Japanese language skills
- Excellent command of the English language as you will work with your colleagues in English
- Casual interview
- Skill and aptitude evaluation
- Reference check
- Final interview
How to apply
Please apply from the link below.